AmeriCorps Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) Volunteer Coordinator & ELP Co-Facilitator
Applicants are advised that acceptance is contingent upon receiving sufficient federal AmeriCorps funding in the summer of 2017
The Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) Volunteer Coordinator & ELP Co-Facilitator will lead the organization’s efforts to enlist volunteers to serve as classroom aides for the Robotics Club, and as mentors, speech judges, and scholarship committee members for ELP I & II, as well as for community service activities. This position will also coordinate the planning and delivery of ELP’s marketing and outreach efforts. ELP I and II (College preparation) are designed to prepare Hispanic and other immigrant youth for college and develop leadership skills through group and individual mentoring sessions. ELP III is designed to assist middle school children in developing their mathematical, technical, and scientific skills through participation in a Robotics Club.
Core Responsibilities: Under the supervision of Edu-Futuro’s Youth Programs Coordinator, lead the recruitment and orientation of volunteers, develop and deliver outreach efforts, and provide general support for ELP
- Lead ELP marketing and outreach.
- Recruit students, mentors, and volunteers.
- Engage established and new community partners in supporting ELP activities, including middle and high school administrators as well as college admissions’ staff.
- Help develop marketing materials
- Manage Edu-Futuro’s volunteers’ database to make sure that all programs have the adequate student/volunteer ratio to secure the success of the ELP programs.
- Tracks volunteer hours that are collected by the ELP facilitators through activity-specific attendance sheets at all ELP sites.
- Train and support ELP mentors and other volunteers.
- Work one-on-one with ELP II high school seniors (ELP I graduates) to coach them through the college and scholarship application process on a weekly basis (for the 2017-2018 academic year).
- Organize with the ELP team youth events, such as community service, field trips, college visits, and graduation ceremonies.
- Co-facilitate the delivery of ELP I and ELP III in Arlington and Fairfax County Public Schools.
- Maintain & report accurate participant & volunteer data (attendance, progress, completion), and assist with keeping track of program’s expenses for meals and supplies.
- Support the efforts of other ELP facilitators and the overall functioning of ELP programs.
AmeriCorps General Responsibilities
Members work together on planning community service and other events and participate in regular team activities (meetings, training, reporting, and evaluation activities). Members:
- assist CASA & Edu-Futuro with recruiting participants and volunteers as well as with enhancing & expanding programming, student services, resources, and capacity,
- assist job seekers and teach basic computer and soft skills to adults, and
- support the recruitment and management of volunteers.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ELIGIBILITY
- Available full-time (1700 hours; ca. 36 hours/week) from on or about September 1, 2017 to on or about August 30, 2018
- Must be able to serve 2-4 evenings/week and Saturdays during the delivery of the Emerging Leader Programs.
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Passionate about teaching as well as serving the immigrant community.
- Excellent English & interpersonal skills.
- Spanish fluency (desirable).
- Some experience teaching and working with the foreign-born (desirable).
- Access to a car required. Service activities are conducted throughout Arlington, Falls Church, and Fairfax.
- $13,000 taxable stipend + FICA.
- Local travel reimbursement for service-related activities.
- Professional Development opportunities .
- Health insurance paid by Moving Forward!.
- Education Award of $5,815 (2017 amount) upon successful completion of service.
- Student loan forbearance or deferment.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Paola Sandoval-Moshenberg, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt, additional application materials will be sent to eligible applicants. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.